Monday, April 14, 2008

Death = Living

Death has been all around me this past month and it had me in a melancholy mood all morning.

Thankfully we had a call at work for a hospice patient (Hospice meaning a place for people who are dying). There I was in the back of the ambulance with her. She rolls over and looks at me....

Her "You look like someone just died, who was it?"
Me "How did you know?"
Her "People stare at me like I'm already dead every day, I'm used to it. So come with it, who died"

I explained to her my comparably tiny problems. She then gave me the best wisdom ever.

"Dream as if you will live forever and live like you will die today. God takes those who He takes so be ready. Every day, decide on one thing you want to do, one thing for yourself... hug your wife, call your mom, take a walk, take a long shower, read, or just do nothing.... and don't go to sleep until you've done it. Life isn't about going to special places on vacations, it's about what you make of your time where your at"

No comments: